Monday, June 16, 2008

Day 13 - Cabo San Lucas






The Disney Magic in Cabo San Lucas. You might be able to make out everyone in light coats. It was REALLY cold.








Guess what Peyton found on the dock!?








The beautiful Disney Magic!














Peyton and Martha the dolphin.













A quick ride around the pool!












Peyton with the dolphin trainer teaching Martha to roll-over.















Peyton woke up VERY cranky today. We had an excursion for him to swim with the dolphins, but we were really hesitant to let him know about his upcoming adventure! It was a little chilly and VERY windy in Cabo when we anchored, so jumping in cold water to swim with a very large animal just did not sound too exciting.

In order to get him off the ship, we told him that the Disney ship was closing so they could get it clean for arriving in San Pedro and it was easier to clean if everyone was off the boat! :) He told me that he did not want to get off the ship because there were crabs in Cabo San Lucas and he did not like crabs. Ugh! In order to calm him down, I told him there was NO WAY we were going to see any crabs and if he did see one, I would buy him any toy he wanted from the Disney Store on the ship. Knowing that we were going to see a bunch of dolphins and not even going to the beach, I figured it was a safe bet.

We took the tender in to the marina and we were treated with a wild sea lion swimming around in the harbor. That was a real treat for me because I had only seen them at the zoo and once sitting on a pier in San Francisco!

We got out onto the pier to wait for our tour to leave and just enjoyed the view. Sure enough, not THREE minutes later, Peyton spied a CRAB sitting on the jetty next to the dock! I could NOT believe it! What were the odds? Now I was REALLY in trouble. His immediate response was ‘when is the ship going to open up again so I can go get a toy’? Ugh.

I had to think quickly. I then decided to explain to him the concept of ‘double-or-nothing’. I told him that if he had a great time today, then he would get TWO toys from the store, if he didn’t have any fun at all, then I would win and he would get nothing. Luckily, he is still too young to figure out my evil genius. He accepted my offer and proceeded to tell me that he was having a ‘great time’ and was up for an adventure.

It was a short walk to the Dolphin Center which was right next to the Cabo Marina. The facility was just gorgeous. There were nice changing rooms and we explained to Peyton what we had in store for him and he was actually really excited. He had spied a stuffed dolphin in the store and I promised him that if he liked playing with the dolphin, then that could be his 'toy' for finding the crab. It turned out that no other kid had signed up for the “Kids Dolphin Experience”, so he was lucky enough to have his own trainer and a dolphin all to himself. It was incredible. I could not even believe how much he enjoyed it. The only thing the trainer could not get him to do was kiss the dolphin. Peyton said that the dolphins have germs and he wasn’t getting his lips anywhere near those teeth! The trainer was VERY patient and taught him all about 'Martha' the dolphin. When Peyton rode the dolphin around the pool, I nearly flipped out. The excursion was worth every penny and I was so pleased with how great they were with my son. The trainer (and dolphin) just did a great job and I would HIGHLY recommend this excursion for kids.


Peyton spent the entire afternoon asking me if I wanted to see his new dolphin do some tricks and pretending to feed him fish and telling him what a great dolphin he was. :)

No comments: